WCKC Hikes: Rock House Reservation. If you are looking for a good spot for a nature walk or hike with the kids, we highly recommend The Rock House Reservation in West Brookfield, a Trustees of Reservation property. We haven’t been to Rock House Reservation in a number of years, and this was our first trip with kids, and we all loved it!
It was the perfect location for a nature walk with our girls. My six year old loves to climb on rocks and the boulders made for perfect exploration. My almost three year old enjoyed walking along smaller rocks and climbing over roots and branches along the well-maintained trail.
We witnessed plenty of evidence of wildlife along the trail. We saw dams and partially gnawed on trees. There were water snakes warming up in a tree over the pond and a turtle sunning on a log. The girls had the opportunity to point out different species of trees and bushes along the way, and they paused along the trail to smell their first skunk cabbage (gross).
We took a short trail around the pond (.6 miles) where we saw the best features offered at the reservation: the balancing rock, the trailside cabin, and of course the rock house itself. The rock house is a cave-like structure created from the glaciers pushing and pulling over the New England landscape. According to the website, the Rock House’s mammoth proportions and southern exposure made it an excellent winter camp for Native Americans.
- This spot is free to the public and is not accessible by stroller.
- There are other trail options to extend your exploration like the outer trail loop to add one mile to your hike or the summit trail to add another .6 miles.
- Bring bug spray! We didn’t have a problem when we went but I’m sure the spring months get buggy in this area.
- If you like Purgatory Chasm in Sutton, you will love this spot too!
- Download the trail map ahead of time although the trails are well-marked.
- Nearby, check out Janine’s Frostee for delicious ice cream or take out window lunch. We also enjoyed some live music with our ice cream at our visit!
Rock House Reservation
West Brookfield, MA 01585