When January blew in (along with a few extra pounds), I decided squeezing myself into my jeans any longer really sucked and it was time to get real. I’d seen this recipe floating around Facebook for quite a while, and since I love any kind of Asian food, I decided to try it out. And I’m glad I did. It’s awesome.
The “fried rice” is raw cauliflower that has been chopped into a rice consistency from the food processor. Everything else is up to your personal taste. That’s what makes this recipe so fabulous– it’s so versatile, takes 10 minutes to make and is very healthy!
Below I’ve included the recipe I “followed”, but here, let me list a few tips and changes I made.
- Chop the raw cauliflower in the food processor to a rice consistency. Do NOT ground cauliflower too small or it will cook too fast and become mushy.
- Do NOT overcook the cauliflower. Again, you want the end result to have a chewy rice consistency, not a mushy bowl of mush.
- Definitely use the Sesame Oil if you can, makes a big difference.
- In my “rice” I included onion, mushrooms, peas, shrimp, bean sprouts, egg and green onion.
Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch slices or 1/4 cup pancetta or 1 Chinese lap cheong sausage, diced
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated (I didn’t use this, didn’t have any.)
- 1 head cauliflower, riced by grating by hand or in a food processor (~5 cups)
- 2 eggs, lightly scrambled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (optional) (I didn’t use this, either. In fact, I don’t even know what it is.)
- chili sauce such as sambal oelek or srircha to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 3-5 minutes
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes before adding the carrot and peas and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice, mix everything up and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Make a well in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and let them sit for a minute before mixing them into everything and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in the mixture of the soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil and green onions, remove from heat and enjoy.
Calories 253, Fat 10.5g (Saturated 2.9g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 139mg, Sodium 1011mg, Carbs 13.9g (Fiber 4.1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 26g