Our Summer 2022 Bucket List! 30+ Ideas for Your Summer in Central MA (and Beyond)
Memorial Day is behind us and that means summer is within reach. Every year I like to make a bucket list – or more of an aspirational list – of things we want to do this summer.
- Go camping at a real campground – Dennison and Nickerson State Parks are already booked for this season. Jamaica State Park in VT is another favorite spot of ours.
- Ride the train at the EcoTarium and visit their Alden Planetarium now that both of these are back in operation.
- Bake a fun new dessert together
- Bring the kids to splash and play at Davis Farmland
- Hold (another) lemonade stand
- Take a day trip up to the beach or make a weekend of it and visit the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport
- Eat ice cream and lots of it. We have lots of favorites but our new favorite spot is Lilac Hedge Farm. Plus I need to try a wine slush there!
- Visit our two favorite zoos Roger Williams Park Zoo and Southwicks Zoo.
- Take a day trip to Six Flags. I’ve never brought my kids, but I think my almost 8 year old will absolutely love it.
- Do some at home science experiments, per my children’s request.
- Do a beach day. Or two. Or three.
- Pick strawberries and blueberries and bake yummy treats with our harvest
- Create a massive blanket fort and watch movies in our pajamas all day. One of the best rainy day summer activities!
- Go back in time with a visit to Old Sturbridge Village -Kids are free all summer!
- Camp out in the front yard – always a hit with my kids
- Bring my daughters to the Boston Science Museum – we haven’t spent much time there in years.
- Hop a ferry to the Boston Harbor Islands. (This goes on my list every year and we haven’t made it happen since before our kids were born. Hoping this is the year!
- Rent canoes or kayaks from Nashoba Paddler to enjoy a morning on the pond.
- Watch Fireworks
- The kids loved Mystic Seaport and are asking when we can go back – hoping to tack that onto our summer plans too!
- Plant and harvest a vegetable garden – my top favorites to grow are tomatoes, potatoes, and lettuce.
- Go for a bike ride on the rail trail. See our guide to local stroller/bike friendly locations.
- Take a hike at Purgatory Chasm or explore another one of the stroller friendly trails nearby
- Play in the treehouse at the Discovery Museum in Acton. Did you know that they are celebrating 40 years this year? See all the special 40th anniversary events planned for 2022.
- Take my kids bowling or mini golfing or both. See our bowling guide and mini golfing guide for locations near you..
- Visit the Puppet Theater in Lunenburg to take in a show and explore the fairy tale garden.
- Get crafty with some at home arts and crafts like this one
- Explore the secret garden in Shrewsbury
- Find new playgrounds to explore. My older daughter loved the Princeton playground at Thomas Prince School and we haven’t been back, so that’s on the top of our to do list. See ideas for playgrounds around Central MA.
- Hike Mount Wachusett with both kids.
- Bring the kids to a demonstration at The American Heritage Museum
- Enjoy the beautiful spring and summer flowers at New England Botanic Garden at Tower Hill and check out their new space for kids “The Ramble.”
- Take one of our favorite day trip plans and head to the Boston Aquarium and then have lunch at Boston Market and play in the fountains on the Rose Kennedy Greenway
What is on your summer 2022 bucket list? Tell us in comments below!.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to the WCKC e-newsletter!