Old Sturbridge Village New Worcester School – Apply Today! Opening August 2023
Worcester Cultural Academy (WCA) is a free charter public school located in Worcester and opening in August 2023 with grades Kindergarten through 4th grade, and will grow to a K-8 school. The school is partnering with EL Education (formerly known as Expeditionary Learning) to grant students an opportunity to connect what they are learning in classrooms to real-world applications through high-quality learning experiences. Through project-based learning, case studies, and fieldwork conducted with the leading cultural institutions and museums of central Massachusetts, WCA fosters intellectual curiosity and encourages students to become articulate communicators, critical thinkers, and skilled problem solvers who care for themselves, others around them, and their community. A culture of quality permeates the school and our students will graduate with an understanding of how they learn best and how to advocate for the resources they need for success.
The next application deadline is 5:00 p.m. on April 25, 2023. They will continue to accept applications after the April 25th deadline; however, they will be included in the next application cycle, which has a deadline of May 16, 2023. Any school-aged child in the state of Massachusetts may apply. Preference in the lottery is given to students who reside in the city of Worcester. Worcester Cultural Academy is free for all students!
Worcester Cultural Academy, in partnership with families, students, and staff, will provide the following:
- Collaboration with local cultural institutions for in-depth fieldwork to support project-based learning
- Nurturing skills and interests in visual and performing arts, music, engineering, crafts, and community service
- Small class sizes and low student-to-teacher ratios
- Robust special education and ELL services
- Transportation provided to and from the school
- High-quality, character-based instruction with a commitment to a diverse teaching staff
- Access to experts from Old Sturbridge Village and other cultural institutions
- Academic interventions early in elementary school
- Social-emotional interventions early in elementary school
- Commitment to equity and antiracism
- Support from Old Sturbridge Village’s Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access to support the recruitment of diverse teaching staff and the implementation of culturally competent teaching practices
Worcester Cultural Academy