NEW! Otter Encounters at EcoTarium! Slydell and Daisy are inviting you to lunch!
Enjoy this opportunity to get up close to the EcoTarium otters and feed them their favorite foods. These animals will also demonstrate their training skills. The EcoTarium Animal Keepers will provide an overview of the natural history of North American River Otters, the conservation challenges all thirteen species of otters face, and the specific care that Slydell and Daisy receive here!
Tickets & Important Information
- Time: 12:00 pm Saturday & Sunday (starting 09/03/2022)
- Duration: This is a 30-minute experience
- Cost: $20 for members, $25 for non-members (per person), Otter Encounter tickets are in addition to general admission, general admission tickets must be purchased for the same date if not a member
- Location: This experience meets at the info desk 10 minutes before the Otter Encounter
- Age Range: Must be at least 6 years of age to participate
- Age Specifications: Guests between the ages of 6 and 13 must be joined by a adult in the feeding area, adult must have a ticket
- General Guidelines: Please note that in the event that the otters are not on exhibit for the day, the otter feeding will be canceled
- Cancellation Policy: Tickets are non-refundable unless cancelled by the EcoTarium in the event that the otters are moved off-exhibit for the day
- COVID-19 Policy: Masks will be mandatory during feedings as otters are susceptible to COVID-19. Masks will be provided to our guests if they are not able to provide their own
Otter Feeding FAQS:
Where can I purchase a ticket for this experience?
Otter feeding tickets can be purchased in advance online or the day of at the front desk if there are tickets available. Tickets must be purchased at least 1 hour prior to the encounter to ensure our staff preparation time.
How much does it cost to feed the otters?
The opportunity to feed the otters costs $20 for members and $25 for non-members. One feeding includes two pieces of fish and a behind the scenes opportunity to view and learn about our two otters!
What will I be feeding the otters?
You will be feeding the otters fish, a regular part of their diet. They supply non-latex nitrile gloves during the feeding and access to hand sanitizer afterward.
Can I bring my own food from home to feed the otters?
For the safety of the animals, you are only permitted to feed the food that is provided by the museum. The otters are on a diet that is carefully monitored and approved by the EcoTarium’s veterinarians.
Can my children participate?
Children over the age of 6 can participate. Individuals between the ages of 6 and 13 are required to be accompanied by an adult.
What if the otters won’t come over to eat?
Otter feeding is voluntary for the animals, and they always have the option to not participate. The program fee includes the opportunity to learn more about the care of the EcoTarium’s otters and the conservation of their wild counterparts.
Can I purchase this experience in advance of my visit?
Reservations are available for purchase online. To make a reservation, follow the “Get Tickets” link above!
Is the otter feed area wheelchair accessible?
Many areas of the EcoTarium are ADA accessible. At this time, the otter feeding area is not accessible for a person who uses a wheelchair.
222 Harrington Ave
Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for the WCKC e-newsletter!