Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Just try to stop eating it. Ready for a soup that will stick to your bones? Here’s a delicious, hearty soup that’s insanely easy to make and everyone in the family will love it. Seriously, even my kids ate it.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
My personal notes are in purple.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into small chunks (I actually bought a rotisserie chicken, broke into chunks and threw that in. So tender!)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme (I used fresh thyme, removed the leaves and probably used 8 sprigs. I like thyme!)
- 30fl oz/3.5cups chicken stock (I used the boxed low-sodium chicken broth)
- 3.5tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 6tbsp plain flour (Put in a couple tablespoons at a time depending on your thickness preference. I think 5 tbsp. is pretty thick.)
- 1.25 cups milk (half or full fat)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (I didn’t have any parsley, but didn’t miss it. Besides, my kids would ask what the green stuff was.)
- Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes, celery, half the lemon juice, salt and pepper and stock to a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- When the chicken and vegetables are nearly cooked, take another large sauce pan and add in the butter and onions. Heat on medium and cook the onion for about 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Add in the flour and mix it into the onions and butter using a balloon whisk. It should form into a creamy paste (or roux). Allow the roux to cook for a minute whilst stirring with your whisk, then add in a ladle of the stock from the chicken broth (try to get mostly stock – not the chicken/veggies). Whisk the broth into the mixture. Repeat this until you have ladled out most of the stock from the chicken pan (leaving the chicken and veggies behind).
- Pour in the milk. Heat through whilst stirring with the whisk. The sauce should thicken slightly as it’s heating.
- Once the sauce is almost at boiling (don’t let it boil) add in the chicken and veggies. Bring back to almost boiling and add in half the lemon juice. Give it a stir and taste. Add the rest of the lemon juice if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in the parsley, then serve.
NOTE: This soup can be made in advance. Allow to cool, then covering and place in the fridge for a day or two. Reheat thoroughly in a pan before serving.
For more family friendly recipes, see our recipe section.
Recipe & photo compliments of the Kitchen Sanctuary.