We’ve all seen the sensory bin ideas on Pinterest. But are they are easy to make? And the good news is, Yes, they are a snap. Sensory bins are great for fine motor skills but also for focus, and engaging and calming a child. Let’s do this!
SUPPLIES FOR DYEING RICE
- Inexpensive, long grain white rice
- vinegar (not rubbing alcohol)
- food coloring or icing gels
- food storage container with lid
INGREDIENTS FOR EACH COLOR OF RICE:
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Wilton icing gel (you could also use several drops of liquid food coloring)
Add Food Coloring
- Pour a cup of rice into your margarine container. Then, with a toothpick, swirl a generous dollop of icing color-gel through the rice.
- Add Vinegar
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp of vinegar over the rice.
- Pop the lid on your container, and shake the heck out of it. Remove lid, and be amazed!
DRYING YOUR COLORED RICE
- Spread each batch of colored rice out on a plate or a baking sheet.
- Place your rice in the sun to dry quickly.
We followed the Happy Hooligans recipe for this craft.
More ideas for your rice:
- Hide objects in the rice for your child to find
- If your rice is in a large bin, let your child step into the bin with bare feet to feel it on their toes
- Get an empty ice cube tray to have some sorting fun
Check out Sensory Play Using Household Items on Porch.com to read about the many benefits of sensory play and find awesome tips on how to make them at home.
For more DIY Kids’ Crafts, see our WCKC Craft Section!