Christmas by Candlelight at OSV! Bonfire, storytelling, sleigh rides and more at Old Sturbridge Village.
This year’s event will see the return of many favorite holiday activities, and always with a new spin.
- Enchantment abounds – Old Sturbridge Village’s 200-acre campus will be decorated for the holiday season. Guests can wander the Christmas Tree Trail and Christmas Wish Bridge, a nature path lit up with Christmas trees along the Quinebaug River. Or watch the evening come to life at a lighting ceremony every night at 4:30 p.m., ride in the horse-drawn carryall around the Village Common, visit the 500+ piece nativity set in Friends Meetinghouse, and view Christmas décor from the 1830s, 1850s, and 1870s in the Salem Towne House. Thanks to special contributions from Oakwood Farms Christmas Barn in Spencer, MA, the Asa Knight Store will feature the history of glass ornaments. The cabinetmaker will be crafting wooden toys and gifts and the tinners will be punching tin lanterns. Take in the sights and smells of holiday baking at the Freeman Farmhouse and visit with the farm animals, and so much more!
- Step back in time – The households throughout the Village will feature various traditional craft demonstrations including making woolen ornaments, authentic marzipan, knitting Christmas stockings, baking cakes, punching tin lanterns, making pottery, and more. Sample mulled cider and Polish gingerbread and see other holiday treats being made.
- Get hands-on with crafts – Visitors can make crafts at various stations throughout the Village, purchase craft kits in our shops for gift giving, and try candle dipping for an additional fee.
- Hear stories of the season – Visitors can sit and listen to readings of The Nativity Gospel of Saint Luke and The Nativity Gospel of Saint Matthew in the Friends Meetinghouse or hear classic Christmas tales being told including Spanish readings of Un Cocqui de Boriquen a Puerto Rican children’s story.
- Enjoy live music and magic – See historical musical performances around the Village including our costumed historians playing various instruments, The OSV Singers (on Sundays), and different local performers each night. There is also a not-to-be-missed magic show with Bob Olsen!
- Find festive foods – You’ll find a variety of hot foods and beverages at various locations throughout the museum, including treats you’ll see being made in the Village. Visit the Bullard Tavern Café and Patio for hearty soups, hot sandwiches, festive desserts, hot and cold beverages, and specialty cocktails. Or enjoy a treat from one of our concession stands in the Countryside or on the Common. There’s also the Ox & Yoke Café with soups, sandwiches, pastries, and beverages on your way into or out of the Village.
- Gingerbread House Contest– An annual favorite, enter our Gingerbread house baking contest and put your creation on display. Families, professionals, as well as home bakers are all welcome and guests can vote for their favorites! Enter your creation by November 12, 2023. Details online.
- Holiday Express Model Trains – Come see what the Worcester Model Rail Roaders have in store this year with their charming display of miniature trains.
- Visits with Santa – Santa Claus will make an appearance each night for little ones to tell him their special Christmas wish. Come make a craft and meet with the man himself!
- Holiday Shopping – This year we are proud to have expanded our offering of unique handcrafted holiday items available at the Miner Grant Store and the Ox & Yoke Mercantile each evening during the event. Find craft kits, books, clothing, bath and body, and Village-made ware for your gift-giving list. New this year, you can shop early online at shop.osv.org!
- Lodging Packages – For those traveling a distance or meeting family in the area, enjoy a peaceful night at the Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges. Special packages are available for Christmas.
Start planning your visit today and save big while creating memories that will last a lifetime!
Ticket sales launch to the general public on October 27 with early bird rates through November 23 and are available online in advance at a discount. It is highly recommended that you purchase tickets online in advance. Tickets will be full price at the door. To find the list of available dates, as well as event and ticket information, go to Christmas by Candlelight
Save with Membership
Members save more! Not a member? Membership is a gift that keeps giving all year long. Explore the benefits of membership at www.osv.org/membership/.
2023 Event Dates, Times & Tickets
The Village is open 2:00 – 8:00 pm on November 24-25, 26 (members only) and December 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17,18, 22, 23, 26, 27- 30
Early-bird Pricing I Through November 23rd
Members save 20% on all tickets purchased on/by November 23rd.
Member Adult: $29
Member Youth (4-17): $14.50
Non-Members save 10% on all tickets purchased on/by November 23rd.
Youth (4-17): $17
Regular Non-Member Price Admission (All Discounts Ended) I November 24th Onward
Adult: $36 Online
Youth (4-17): $18 Online
Ticket prices higher at the door.
Free for children 3 and under
Christmas by Candlelight at Old Sturbridge Village
1 Old Sturbridge Village Road, Sturbridge MA (508) 347-3362
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to the WCKC e-newsletter!