Here’s your Central MA WCKC Weekly Boredom Busters for 1/11-1/17!
What’s open, what’s virtual, what should I do with my kids at home this week? We have compiled a list of some boredom busters for you. And stay tuned, we will feature new ideas each week!
Get out of the house!
- Check out the Yetis before they are gone! At Tower Hill, exhibit open through Jan 31, the whole family can engage in a fun-filled winter scavenger hunt and adventure. Meet all fifteen of the colorful, furry, Yeti friends. Typically covered with white shaggy fur, these yetis have changed things up, boasting bright colors so they will not be missed. Explore the gardens this winter with the goal of meeting all fifteen Yetis.
- Discovery Museum in Acton is hosting a “Day of Service” activity day on January 16, and 17 in honor of Martin Luther King Jr Day. Engage in small acts of service to benefit our neighbors. Make a thank you card or a note of gratitude for frontline healthcare workers and help assemble no-sew beds for local shelter animals. Support our on-going food donation program by bringing a non-perishable food item for our collection. Get your tickets ahead of time and read up on their covid-safety protocols before going to the museum.
- Did you know some bowling alleys are open, although operating at reduced capacity with new safety protocols? AMF bowling in Auburn & Shrewsbury is open and you can reserve a lane online. Also open is Bayberry in Spencer, and Bogey Lanes in Brookfield, Burn off a little of that kid energy!
Stay Busy Virtually
- Thayer Memorial Library offers many virtual programs like weekly Lego Club, a winter reading challenge, weekly story times and more. This week they also have a Mug Meals for Teens program. Stay connected with your community and your library!
- Virtually EcoTarium helps you stay engaged with the EcoTarium through their social media with these weekly programs. Attend preschool story time weekly on Facebook Live on 11 a.m. or check out wildlife Wednesday at 2 p.m. on Instagram Live. or check out their other online handouts for more at home STEM fun.
At Home Crafts/Ideas/Projects
- Order some decorate your own or paint your own cookies from a local bakery like these at Red Barn Cookies in Princeton, MA or at Wicked Good Cookies in Boylston, MA. Enjoy some decorating and crafting time then enjoy your final products! yum!
- Movie Night. I know there are a lot of these we have had in 2020! But jazz it up by popping special popcorn or getting boxed candies or local hot cocoa bombs for a special “movie theater treat.”
If you are feeling really crafty, you could make movie tickets and set up the living room like a movie theater or have kids make a “drive in” night with these DIY cardboard cars. New movies like Soul on Disney Plus or Wolfwalkers on Apple TV may also do the trick to shake things up so you aren’t watching Frozen 2 for the 7,000th time (I’m speaking from experience).
For more fun local and virtual events, check our calendar page.
What has helped keep your family active, engaged and busy during these months of restrictions? Maybe we will feature your idea next week!