- This event has passed.
EcoTarium New Exhibit Ribbon Cutting: Measurement Rules
February 3 @ 11:00 amIncluded in regular admission
The EcoTarium Museum of Science and Nature invites you to the ribbon cutting of the NEW traveling exhibit, Measurement Rules!
The Museum will open early (9:00 a.m.) for a members-only breakfast and preview, and then will open to the public at 10:00 a.m. The ribbon cutting ceremony will begin at 11:00 a.m.
This interactive exhibit, created by Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh, will enable children to explore the elements of measurement in a fun, hands-on way. While it is common to measure using standard tools such as measuring tapes and vessels, the Measurement Rules exhibit will explore some nonstandard ones such as balancing scales, odometers, calipers, 3-D imaging and counting “Mississippis.”
You can explore concepts of length, time, volume and weight in a variety of ways:
- Height Wall – How tall are you in apples or pennies?
- Treadmill Odometer – Get walking and add to the total yards we’ll calculate visitors walked on our treadmill in the exhibit.
- Ball Gauges – Tinker with instruments such as calipers, height gauges and go/no-go gauges. Explore all of the possible ways to measure an ordinary wooden ball. Toss the balls down the chutes to test your findings.
- Giant Tape Measure – Extend a giant tape measure to measure the equally giant fish on our wall mural.
- Foot Ruler – Fit your foot into the gauge to make your foot a unit of measurement then measure yourself in your “feet” and other people’s “feet.”
- Five Mississippi – How good is your internal clock? Count to five Mississippi and see how close you come to five actual seconds.
- Ball Stopwatch – Build your own ball ramp and make it faster or slower with modifications.
- See Your Volume – Step before the screen and see yourself built from cubic-inch blocks.
- Bead Table – Little ones can explore volume at an open-ended bead play table.
- Chicken Scale – Find out how many chickens you weigh.
- Balance Scale – Finesse the right balance between objects and standard weights on a large balance scale.
Exhibit is included with admission.
Measurement Rules will be on exhibit at the EcoTarium from February 3 – mid-May 2024.