35 Things to do this Summer in Central Mass with Kids!
Family Fun in Central MA!
Worcester is the second largest city in New England, making Central Mass a gold mine for kid-friendly things to do in the summer. For more fall family fun, check our regular calendar of events.
35 Things to do this Summer in Central MA
- Visit the EcoTarium. Ride the train and visit the animals. The EcoTarium is a unique indoor-outdoor science and nature museum located in Worcester. A family favorite of locals. See the changing indoor & outdoor exhibits science and nature exhibits, ride the train, visit the animals and play in the outdoor Nature Explore® Exhibit. The newly reopened Planetarium has daily shows. Closed on Mondays.
- Purgatory Chasm for a family summer hike!
- Spend the day at Old Sturbridge Village and travel back in time. Interact with costumed historians and learn about life in the 19th century.
- See what is happening at Discovery Museum in Acton. Summer is a great time to burn some energy in their Treehouse and Adventure Hill. Friday evenings in summer (4:30-7:30) are free admission nights. Advance tickets are always required to visit the museum.
- Find a new playground to explore!
- Visit Southwick’s Zoo in Mendon. Check out their upcoming special events Southwick’s Zoo!
- Book a summer summer trail ride in Princeton at Cornerstone Ranch!
- Go berry picking! Find a farm near you with our PYO Summer Fruit Guide.
- Visit the Davis Farmland & Splash & Play! We love Davis Farmland! This is the largest endangered farm for farm animals! We love their mission and love all the memories that we make here.
- Visit New England Botanic Garden at Tower Hill The Ramble! The Ramble is a magical children’s garden, perfect for the littles. And they have special activities, Nature Play Days Monday – Friday for the kids.
- Spend the afternoon at West End Creamery. Mini Golf, animals and awesome ice cream!
- Cheer on the Worcester Bravehearts! Very affordable and family-friendly! See their schedule here.
- Worcester Common Oval Out to Lunch Series: Music, farmer’s market, performers and more! August 3, 17 and 31.
- Check out American Heritage Museum in Hudson . They also have special events year round.
- Visit Worcester Art Museum. Scavenger hunts, arm & armor demos, art carts and more! See here for their family activities. Kids under 17 always free admission. The first Sunday of each month is free to the public.
- Visit Dinosaurs Among Us at Roger Williams Park Zoo Through August 13. It’s worth the short trip from the Worcester area.
- Summer is a great time to experience Boundless Adventures Aerial Park in Berlin! Courses for all ages & abilities.
- Rent Kayaks and Canoes at Nashoba Paddler Rentals through October 23.
- Hike the Mass Audubon trails at Broad Meadow Brook in Worcester or Wachusett Meadow in Princeton.
- Explore Shrewbury’s Secret Garden
- Listen to live music at Stone Cow Brewery. Get yummy ice cream and maybe a brew. Kids will love the farm animals and playground.
- Visit the barnyard friends at Greenhill Park!
- Movies on the Common- Outdoor movies on Worcester Common. 3 Evenings on July 20, August 17 and September 21. Begins at 6:30pm.
- Check out Moore State Park in Paxton.
- See the Art in the Park Display at historic Elm Park. Runs daily through 10/6.
- Rock House Reservation – One of our favorite hikes
- Looking to escape the heat? Get a day pass to Great Wolf Lodge for some water fun without the heat.
- Breezy Waterslides in Douglas is open daily!
- Slightly out of Central MA, but worth the trip. Take a Connecticut Riverboat Cruise out of Northfield, MA
- Pick a rainy day and escape to one of the awesome indoor play spots in the area!
- I scream, you scream…..you know how it goes. See our guide to local scoops.
- Cool off in one of the Central MA Pools, Ponds or Pads!
- Hollis Hills Farm Live Music Series – Fridays – Sundays all summer. Some of the best music and ice cream around!
- Visit the Enchanted Garden in Lunenburg. We love finding the nursery rhyme rigures throughout the beautiful gardens and trails.
- Kimball Farm Westford – Bumper Boats, Mini Golf, Zip Line, Animal Shows, Arcade, Pony Rides, Ice Cream and more!
What did we miss? Tell us about it in comments!
Get the fun delivered to your inbox each week: Sign up for the Worcester Central Kids Calendar e-newsletter!