My kids have enough toys. Like, seriously, enough. But I still want them to have the best-Christmas-ever and be excited with what was waiting for them under the tree. So this year I am adding some non-toy items to wrap up for the holidays.
Here’s a list of ideas for non-toy holiday gifts that any kid would love!
1. EcoTarium The EcoTarium is having a Black Friday through Cyber Monday Deal! Buy a 1 year membership and they will extend it 2 extra months! Buy that deal on their website 11/25-11/28 here: https://ecotarium.org/support-us/membership/
2. Art Classes Worcester Art Museum has awesome winter workshops for kids that begin on 12/27. Check them out here: https://portal.worcesterart.org/classes/vacation-week/view-all/
3. Subscriptions. My kids LOVE the National Geographic Kids magazine and even better, they love getting mail! Encourage your child’s’ interests in different areas of life and sciences. See here for a list of great kids’ magazines for all ages.
4. Events. Grab a pair of movie passes or tickets to a play, concert or sporting event. Go as a family or for some one-one-one time. Getting the tickets in advance also gives you all something to look forward to.
- Worcester Railers
- West Boylston Cinemas
- Hanover Theatre- Black Friday through Cyber Monday Deal on Annie Tickets!
6. Baking. Last year I bought my kids each an apron and a kids’ cookbook and they loved it. We’ve had a blast choosing recipes and cooking together. And, to see the pride on their faces make it taste all the sweeter.
7. Crafting Date. My daughters love crafts. Coloring, painting, clay, you name it. Last Christmas we gifted a craft subscription box to relatives and they look forward to receiving it each month. Check out this site for ideas: https://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/arts-and-crafts-for-kids
8. Coupons. These are also really big in our house and we love them. Give the kids an envelope of different coupons for things like movie and popcorn night, game of Monopoly, special hour with mom or dad, ice cream outing, stay up 1/2 hour past bedtime. Fun!
9. Restaurant Gift Card. My kids now really appreciate “eating out”. What a treat for everyone! We recommend Davis BBQ at Davis Farmland. See our review here: https://worcestercentralkidscalendar.com/new-davis-bbq-restaurant-winter-animal-barn/, Or see our Central MA Kids’ Meal Deals Guide.
10. Group Outings. Reserve a private sleigh ride at Cornerstone Ranch or factory tour over the holiday break with a group of your family and friends. Most only require 8-12 people which would be easy to gather up and a ton of fun!
11. Date Night. We do one-on-one date nights with each of our kids and it’s sooo awesome. The kids love the special attention and it allows us to communicate and enjoy each other’s company without any distractions. Check out our “Making Memories: 7 Great Ideas for Date Night— for you and your Kids” article for some inspiration.
12. A Night Away from Home. Kids LOVE hotels. Any hotel. Anywhere. Grab a deal on Expedia or Priceline for a hotel room with a pool (this is a must), grab your bathing suits and a change of clothes and away you go. Even if it’s two towns away. Their happiness is as simple as that. Check out our Massachusetts Staycation Vacation Guide!
13. Gymnastics/Dance/Ninja Lessons. Keep the kids moving and having fun with weekly lessons. Whether it is swim, dance, rock climbing, martial arts….. find their interest and encourage them. Check out all the great programs at Sterling Gym: https://worcestercentralkidscalendar.com/sterling-gym-unique-programs/
Additional ideas here:
- Music Classes at JOMP (take a free trial class in December) and Pakachoag Music School.
- Dance at Jo Ann Warren Studios
- Experience the American Heritage Museum in Hudson
- Gift Card to a local Bookstore
- Other museums great for families: Discovery Museum, Dr. Seuss Museum (located at Springfield Museums), Mystic Aquarium
- Ice Cream Gift Cards. See our local list: https://worcestercentralkidscalendar.com/ice-cream-scoops-in-central-ma/
What are your favorite non-gift ideas? Share with us in the comments below!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to the WCKC e-newsletter!